Monday, August 3, 2009

Mr. Mom Is Doing Fine

"How you doin', Mr. Mom?"
It's the overwhelming question I am asked since experiencing the loss of my radio show.
The other one that's close is "we sure miss you on the radio," or, "how can we get you back, you left such a hole?......."
Well, first things first.
I've settled into a routine and let me tell you something -- I have a new appreciation for the traditional role of women.
My daily routine, with some exceptions, includes doing the wash, in both the kitchen and utility room. How many clothes can one woman wear? Well, that's going to get me into trouble because my wife works a full-time job and I'm a stay-at-home Mom. Oh, well, next comes dinner. Thank goodness I don't have to worry about breakfast or lunch, that is unless
my wife is home. I've now been looking for some kind of lotion because washing and cooking can leave you with dry hands.
The toughest thing about preparing dinner is the choices. My wife set me up a long time agi, at least a year or so, when she came home looking for a glass of wine and a soft chair. "What a day!" she said. I whispered about her "tough" day. "Yeah," I said to myself, "tell me about it...."
Well, I've been proud of myself and I'm beginning to branch out in the selection of the meals. Look, spaghetti or chili tends to draw looks again of "oh, no, not again," all the while not hurting my feelings with those silent looks.
I finally made the connection and I blurted out, "Okay, I know what you're thinking. I do. You want more variation, don't you? Go ahead, say it.:
My wife finally rescued me -- and our daughter -- that it was only fair to come up with other selections. They've been very helpful, but I have to admit anything I cook doesn't have the experience that Margaret has (hint, hint because I know she will get around to reading this when I'm not looking.
I'm also big in grocery shopping.
Now this is a real challenge, even though Margaret leaves a detailed note, one I couldn't read if my life depended on it. She doesn't know it until now, but I've met some of the nicest people at Kroger. They seem to know the code of lists put in the hands of hubby.
This confession is sometimes good because I can make choices and the wife just smiles. See, those lists confirming what you purchase doesn't allow for cheating. What the heck, I slip in a doughnut here or there. I also spend a lot of time not shopping at Kroger. People who by now know me ask about sports and the Obama administration, the University of Memphis basketball team. I've started to worry that I might get some of the Kroger staff in trouble, that's why I've asked them to move along with me under the cover of me now knowing that the heck I'm looking for.
I have come to the conclusion that shopping for food is punishment for any number of things. What have I done wrong? That's especially tough because I don't keep count; women, believe me, do.
So, I guess that about covers it for now. I've learned an awful lot since changing my life. I've really gotten into this thing. My wife is complimenting me a lot; that's helps. If you see me wobbling around Kroger or Wal-Mart, say hello.
I'm Mr. Mom and proud of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment