Friday, September 11, 2009

Talk About Sick

I don't know Eugene Robinson, a political columnist for the Washington Post. But I think I have a pretty good handle on what drives him. If his current column about a Republican yelling from the audience "you lie" to the President on health care, well, it's no surprise that he would bring up racism. Robinson goes to great length to castigate Rep. Joe Wilson, a Republican by the way, on Obama's plan that would not cover illegals. Fine. Wilson is a big boy and he can take care of himself. Besides, this issue of health care evokes a lot of emotion. My beef with Robinson, though, is what he said near the end of his column. Here's what he said (and this is verbatim): "......You will note that I have not yet mentioned race. (I'm already heading for the john to throw up). "....for the record, I suspect that Obama's race leads some of his critics to feel they have permission to deny him the legitimacy, stature and common courtesy that are any president's due. I can't prove this, however. And if I'm right, what's anybody supposed to do about it? There's no way to compel people to search their souls for traces of conscious or unconscious racial bias. We could have an interesting discussion about the historical image of the black man in American society, but that wouldn't get us any closer to universal health care......" Now what do you make of that? I think it's sick and so typical that anytime (or almost any time) that Barack draws legitimate disagreement, his defenders trumpet it's a racist rant. Robinson should consider what he has said. But I sincerely doubt that he has the capacity to do so, quite frankly. It's just to easy to yell "racist" and walk away. Such professional recklessness is sick.

1 comment:

  1. I quit reading Eugene about the same time I quit reading Wendy. They both are cut from the same mold. With many Blacks, they just want "respect" over substance.

    ReplyDelete